Sunday, October 31, 2010

Visionary

The production of Antigone I envision is less in tune with exactly the way things were done, but as realistically as possible - yet with some of the elements of masking and instruments and lighting used as the Greeks had done. While the picture I have chosen as my vision definitely does not portray a man wearing a woman's mask, I agree with other aspects of it. This is more than just a depiction of Antigone and Ismene. I've seen depictions that I don't like. With this one, my vision agrees with the clothing they are wearing, with the setting that suggests they are alone - with the way they are NOT placed on a stage in the middle of the palace. This is organic.

Also, this artist has rendered Antigone as more than just an angry, stubborn head. Creon and Oedipus were given contrary characteristics, despite their anger. I think Antigone should be allowed the same.





Work Cited

Armstrong, Thomas. Antigone and Ismene.

No comments: